Website Police Service of Northern Ireland
The Call Handler will provide a multifunctional service to the public and members of the police service by determining the response to emergency and non-emergency telephone calls. Call Handlers will offer advice and assistance to customers and log calls in accordance with local and national quality and performance standards. The Call Handler will attempt to resolve all calls where appropriate through telephone resolution by requesting relevant information from the caller to determine the most appropriate grading or response to the call.
- Receiving and answering emergency and non-emergency calls for service and other reporting streams from members of the public who require advice or assistance within PSNI time standards, and determining whether the call requires police attendance or can be dealt with by Contact Management Staff.
- Identifying any threat, harm or risk to Police Officers, Police Staff and members of the public, and undertaking risk assessment of incidents e.g. where the resource of a dog handler may be required or where a firearm is registered to an address.
- When a reported incident does not require real or near real-time attendance, arranging Diary Car or Surgery style appointments.
- Recording and accurately grading incident information in accordance with PSNI and National Call Handling Standards.
- Utilizing personal skills and knowledge to add value to caller contact through effective decision making.
- Effectively and appropriately use the systems and tools at their disposal to manage caller contact e.g. Call Taking system, Call Recording system, e-mail etc.
- Completing relevant electronic reports for crime purposes.
- Adhering to Contact Management and PSNI processes for obtaining, recording, grading and communicating incident information.
- Using defined processes/questions, identifying the caller’s needs through effective considered questioning, deriving the required level of detail to enable risk and response assessment and providing, where appropriate, guidance around scene preservation.
- Managing caller expectations in line with PSNI Call Grading and Response protocols and Contact Management processes.
- Undertaking primary and secondary searches and checks and supply information (on people, crimes and vehicles) which will help Police Officers when they are deployed to deal with an incident. In certain circumstances the Call Handler will need to carry out enhanced checks. Ensuring accurate recording of information on the log and other relevant logs.
- Applicants must have a valid driving licence and a car available for official business use, or access to a form of personal transport that will enable you to meet the requirements of the post in full.
- IT literate specifically in the use of the Microsoft Office suite (including MS Word, MS PowerPoint, MS Excel and MS Outlook)
Qualification & Experience:
- 5 GCSEs (Grade C or above) to include Maths and English Language (or equivalent).
- 1 years’ experience in a contact centre or customer services environment
Company: Police Service of Northern Ireland
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland, UK
Application Deadline: N/A